Centre for the Study of Human Rights (CSHR) is a non-profit educational institution attached to the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo that is in operation since 1991. Envisioned to create a nation with rights consciousness, in which dignity and rights of all the people are respected and celebrated, the CSHR is mandated to deliver Human Rights education and research using a multi-disciplinary approach to the university community and the wider general public.
CSHR is undertaking a project on Enhancing Legal Awareness of Public and Justice Sector Stakeholders in partnership with the UNDP Sri Lanka, and in collaboration with justice sector institutions. The project envisions a holistic approach to support the justice sector in Sri Lanka, to improve access to justice for all, and to improve the efficiency and quality of justice sector institutions, with a particular focus on providing free legal advice and awareness to the public across the country.
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, the District Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the delivery of free legal advice and awareness in the District, and managing stakeholders in the District, and supervising the student volunteer.
The District Coordinator will support implementation of project activities in a professional manner, in accordance with the project documents, guidelines and agreements made between the University of Colombo, the donor and other project stakeholders.
The District Coordinator will ensure the effective and timely implementation of project activities in the district, delivery of quality outputs, and achieve outcomes with maximum impact to project beneficiaries.
In consultation with the Project Coordinator, the District Coordinator is responsible for the following:
1. Project management (plan, develop, implement, evaluate, report)
a. Being responsible for the effective implementation of free legal advice activity and legal awareness in the district;
b. Assist the Project Coordinator in planning the delivery of the hotline, legal advice clinics and legal awareness sessions
c. Assist developing frameworks and approval documents, and obtaining approvals from relevant university and public sector institutions
d. Implementing legal advice and legal awareness sessions in the district
e. Supporting the monitoring and evaluation of the activities
f. Assist the timely delivery of the project related reports to relevant persons as required;
2. Case management
a. Support setting up standards for case management. Manage case work in the district and conduct follow up with the assistance of the Student Volunteers. Assist the Project Coordinator in monitoring case management, and identifying issues and interventions needed in the district
3. Stakeholder management
a. Liaising with relevant persons in justice sector institutions, other public institutions, and civil society organizations in the district in relation to the project;
b. Coordinating with resource persons to ensure their participation in the project;
4. Staff management/supervision
a. Supervise the delivery of legal advice and awareness by District Coordinators and student volunteers
5. Financial management
a. Monitoring the expenditure of the relevant budget of the project and being responsible for payments made by you;
6. Office administration
a. Maintaining all files pertaining to case management and legal awareness, ensuring privacy and security of data;
b. Carrying out all documentation relating to the project, such as case management, follow up, correspondence, report preparation, and translations where necessary;. Taking due care in using all equipment belonging to the CSHR;. Co-operating with all employees of the CSHR in realising its overall objectives and;
e. Attending to any other duties assigned by the Project Manager, Director and/or Deputy Director.
All duties should be conducted respecting ethical standards in an equitable manner, respecting the dignity of all stakeholders.
Line manager: Project Coordinator
Responsible for: Student Volunteers
Director and Deputy Director, CSHR
Project Manager, CSHR
Project Team, CSHR
Finance Team, CSHR
3. Qualification, Experience and Competencies
- Graduate of Law from a recognized university
- Relevant experience of court practice of minimum 01 year
- Demonstrated 01 years of experience in case management and referral
- Demonstrated experience in delivering field-based projects
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights (ethical practice, workplace respect included)
- Willingness to travel within the District
- A high level of skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and Sinhala/Tamil
- Conversant in both national languages (Sinhala and Tamil)
- Demonstrated experience in working with the community
- Existing relationships with community, community-based organizations, justice sector institutions, and civil society organizations
Closing date: 29 May 2023
*part time positions are equivalent to approximately 20 working hours per week.
Applicants must send their cover letter, CV and relevant supporting documents
1) Register through the google form: https://forms.gle/S616d2ZqUJPrW6388
2) via registered post to: Deputy Director, Centre for the Study of Human Rights, No. 94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03
Only shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview.