Diploma in Human Rights based Law Enforcement is a tailor-made programme to enhance human rights related knowledge of Law Enforcement officers in Sri Lanka. This programme was designed in 2017 based on the findings of Enhancing Human Rights Protections in the Security in the Asian Pacific Project (EHRP).
- General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) or an equivalent qualification;
- A foundation course equivalent to SLQF level 2;
- Completion of NVQF level 4 or minimum five years’ work experience in a related field or accredited prior learning followed by a corresponding Programme of minimum 30 credits as determined by the academic authorities of University of Colombo.
- A good knowledge of Sinhala/Tamil language as the case maybe and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or selection interview.
|DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTIONS
|SINHALA AND TAMIL
The course aims to enhance knowledge, skills and attitudes of the Law Enforcement Officers with respect of implementation of human rights.
a) THE OBJECTIVES OF THIS COURSE ARE:
- To enhance knowledge on human rights, its applicability in Sri Lanka, especially within the institutions.
- To develop skills to identify the situational factors which lead to improper use of force during duties ad knowledge on conducting a situational assessment from a human rights perspective
- To empower Law Enforcement officers with tools which they use when handling situational factors from a human rights perspective
- To develop the ability of Law Enforcement officers to develop and implement their own initiative in order to change the identified situational factors within their workplaces, which leads to human rights violations and improper use of force
- To enhance professionalism of Law Enforcement officers by inculcating human rights values and the concept of dignity
- To develop insight through a human rights perspective into the complex contemporary issues the Law Enforcement officers has to deal with, within the present Sri Lankan context.
B) AT THE END OF THIS COURSE, STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE:
- Ascertain the meaning of human rights, human dignity and conceptual foundation of protecting human rights
- Differentiate fundamental rights from human rights
- Define the fundamental rights and their limitations
- Apply human rights and fundamental rights to duties related to Law Enforcement
- Identify current problems in relation to human rights based Law Enforcement and appraise ways of overcoming problems
- Adapt professionalism in law enforcement through enhanced skills such as effective communication, stress management, mediation, respectability, dignity and leadership.
- Analyse gender-based violence and child abuse issues and how they impact on rights of women and children
- Analyse rights of prisoners and drug addicts
Completed Applications and certificates should be submitted along with the paying voucher of the non-refundable application fee. (Individual applicants who are not funded by an institution should pay an application fee)
Payment of the application fee can be done through the following options.
Duly Completed Applications along with relevant copies of certificates and documents should be submitted by registered post to:
Centre for the Study of Human Rights,
Faculty of Law, University of Colombo,
No.94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03.