This is a Distance Learning Diploma Course offered by the Centre for the Study of Human Rights (CSHR). It is in equivalence with the requirements of Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework (SLQF) Level 3, to be conducted by the CSHR as a distance learning course. The course will be offered by following student-centered teaching and learning methods and K-SAM model. The course will provide theoretical and practical knowledge through face to face lectures, free e- book, lecture handouts and independent learning activities. The course aims to develop an understanding of the principles and institutions of international human rights law and democracy, including their origins, applications, developments and limits.
A) THE OBJECTIVES OF THIS COURSE ARE:
- To ensure the highest intellectual capacity development, in human rights and democracy to people in Sri Lanka
- To make available a formal Distance Course on Human Rights and Democracy to those who have less opportunities to follow a course from a reputed university in the country.
- To sensitize people on the importance of rights, responsibilities and democracy in the context of Sri Lanka.
- To impart the importance of ‘creating a culture of human rights’ in the country coupled with democracy
B) AT THE END OF THIS COURSE, STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE:
- Understand the principles in human rights and democracy taught in the course.
- Explain the rights and duties of rulers and the citizens of the country, system of governance and the relationship between the domestic and international human rights framework;
- Apply the basic principles of human rights and democracy to issues and problems in the main areas of the course;
- Identify the relevance of Human Rights and Democracy to the citizens, to the workplace and to the country.
- General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) or an equivalent qualification;
- A foundation course equivalent to SLQF level 2;
- Completion of NVQF level 4 or minimum five years’ work experience in a related field or accredited prior learning followed by a corresponding programme of minimum 30 credits as determined by the academic authorities of University of Colombo.
- A good knowledge of Sinhala/Tamil language as the case may be and satisfactory performance at the selection interview.
|DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME||1 YEAR|
|SLQF LEVEL||LEVEL 3|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTIONS||SINHALA AND TAMIL|
|COURSE FEE||RS. 75,000/=|
|APPLICATION FEE||RS. 500/=|
Application can be download from the Downloads section of this page.
Completed Applications and certificates should be submitted along with the paying voucher of the non-refundable application fee.
Payment of the application fee can be done through the following options.
Duly Completed Applications along with relevant copies of certificates and documents should be submitted by registered post to:
Centre for the Study of Human Rights,
Faculty of Law, University of Colombo,
No.94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03.