Centre for the Study of Human Rights (CSHR) is a non-profit educational institution attached to the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo that is in operation since 1991. Envisioned to create a nation with rights consciousness, in which dignity and rights of all the people are respected and celebrated, the CSHR is mandated to deliver Human Rights education and research using a multi-disciplinary approach to the university community and the wider general public.
CSHR is undertaking a project on Enhancing Legal Awareness of Public and Justice Sector Stakeholders in partnership with the UNDP Sri Lanka, and in collaboration with justice sector institutions. The project envisions a holistic approach to support the justice sector in Sri Lanka, to improve access to justice for all, and to improve the efficiency and quality of justice sector institutions, with a particular focus on providing free legal advice and awareness to the public across the country.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Communications Officer is responsible for designing and implementing the overall communications strategy of the project.
The Communications Officer will deliver the communications strategy in a professional manner, in accordance with the project documents, guidelines and agreements made between the University of Colombo, the donor and other project stakeholders.
The Communications Officer will ensure the effective and timely implementation of the communications strategy, delivery of quality outputs, and achieve outcomes with maximum impact to project beneficiaries.
1. Strategizing on Communications
a) Design, implement and monitor a communications strategy for the CSHR in consultation with the Project Manager and relevant project staff
b)Improving visibility and brand personality of CSHR’s projects
c) Maintain and manage CSHR’s social media pages and website with timely updates and fresh, relevant content, ensuring digital visibility.
d) Bringing in innovative best practices for the effective dissemination of information for awareness and visibility purposes.
e) Ensuring all content is generated/collected/created with consent from featured parties and is in line with CSHR and University of Colombo’s processes of review and approval.
f) Generating accurate, detailed reports covering analytics and narrative explanations of social media campaigns.
2. Managing communications of projects
a) Develop trilingual communication materials and campaigns based on project needs.
b) Develop content for media releases, newsletters and other communication materials related to project implementation.
c) Work closely with the IT Officer to upload new materials to the CSHR website, and eventually taking over uploading project content to the website
d) Support with Monitoring and Evaluation measures on communications related deliverables
e) Host webinars as requested by the project staff.
f) Formatting and layout of CSHR publications for printing.
g) Graphic designing and editing of visual materials for platforms where necessary.
h) Communicating with photographers and videographers of the projects to ensure that there are constant updates from all programs that can be used for social media.
i) Stepping in to review content, proofread and fact check when necessary.
j) Accompany CSHR project team on field trips when required
3. Managing communications of stakeholders
a) Maintain close coordination with journalists, academics, public officials, citizen groups, NGOs/CSOs and other stakeholders to disseminate CSHR project outcomes and event invitations.
b) Ensuring that the project team has a well-maintained and continually developed contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc.
c) Generating and compiling content such as Annual reports, Newsletters, Photo galleries and other material for a variety of audiences.
4. Financial management
a) Monitoring the expenditure of the components related to communications in the budget of the projects and being responsible for payments made by you;
5. Office administration
- Maintaining all files pertaining to the project;
- Carrying out all documentation relating to the communications of projects
- Taking due care in using all equipment belonging to the CSHR;
- Co-operating with all employees of the CSHR in realising its overall objectives
- Sharing communications related expertise with CSHR staff upon request;
- Attending to any other duties assigned by the Project Manager, Director and/or Deputy Director.
All duties should be conducted respecting ethical standards in an equitable manner, respecting the dignity of all stakeholders.
Line manager: Project Manager
Director and Deputy Director, CSHR
Project Team, CSHR
Finance Team, CSHR
3. Qualification, Experience and Competencies
- A University Degree, acceptable to the relevant authorities of the University of Colombo, preferably in Communications, Journalism or any other related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of demonstrated experience in the field of communication or journalism with special attention to social media campaign design and implementation.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing innovative and creative communication strategies at the institutional/national level.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social values
- Existing relationship with media industry
- Desktop publication, including internet platforms (update website)
- A high level of oral and written communication skills in English language, and one of the local languages (Sinhala or Tamil)
- Specific skills in digital designing, video and film making, copy writing
- Conversant in both national languages (Sinhala and Tamil)
- Demonstrated experience in working with the community
Closing date: 24th March 2023
Applicants must send their cover letter, CV and relevant supporting documents
1) via registered post to: Deputy Director, Centre for the Study of Human Rights, 94, Cumaratunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03
2) email the same to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Only shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview.