The objective of the Course is to provide an opportunity to study human rights to those whose activities will have a positive impact on the promotion and protection of Rights or those who wish to pursue a career in the promotion and protection of Rights. The course is primarily for those who have not had an opportunity of obtaining a structured understanding of human rights issues.
Those who are engaged in Human Rights and development activities / Serving in the Forces / School Leavers/ Those who want to develop a career in the field of human rights / wish to obtain a structured understanding of human rights issues.
The following areas will be covered in the programme.
- Philosophical Foundation of the Concept of Human Rights
- Historical Evolution of Human Rights
- Modern Law of Human Rights
- National, International and Regional Protection of Human Rights
- Group Rights
- Protection of Human Rights during Armed Conflict situations
- New Challenges to the Protection of Human Rights
1. GCE A/L with relevant English language competency (Credit for A/L General English OR Credit for O/L English OR equivalent English Language qualifications)
2. GCE O/L with relevant English language competency (Credit for O/L English OR equivalent English Language qualifications) AND either additional educational qualifications OR relevant work experience.
3. Obtained equivalent qualifications including English language competency
Medium of Instruction: English
Duration : 1 Year
Assessment : Continuous Assessment and a written Examination.
Local Students: Rs.35,000/=
Applications can be downloaded or can be obtained from the Centre for the Study of Human Rights, University of Colombo.
Completed Applications and certificates should be submitted along with the paying voucher of the non refundable application fee of Rs.500/- to be paid to any branch of the People’s Bank, in favour of ‘University of Colombo – Main Collection Account’ to AC No: 335024300015
Applications along with copies of certificates can be submitted by post or hand delivered to the following:
The Director, Centre for the Study of Human Rights,
Faculty of Law, University of Colombo,
94 Cumarathunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03
Tel : 011 2500879/2503017, Fax : 011 2598462
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com