The Postgraduate Diploma in Child Protection and Rights (PGDCPR) programme is a new postgraduate programme targeted at child protection sector, child rights and human rights activists, professionals engaged in protecting and promoting child rights and preventing child abuse in the society. ‘Rights of Children and their protection’ has been a key topic of interest among academics, administrators, policy makers, NGOs, INGOs, donor community and interested members of the civil society over the past years. This Programme is intended to provide and develop the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes in the area of child protection, rights and policy. This postgraduate Diploma is taught from an inter-disciplinary approach, in recognition of the contribution that different disciplines have to make in the field of child rights and child protection and the availability of the resources in the University of Colombo. Accordingly, this Postgraduate Diploma addresses the gap between the theory and practice which has been a key issue in child protection and child rights trainings for a long time.
Applications are called for the above one year programme
Objectives of the Programme
- To support and facilitate the internalization of ethics, values and fundamentals of the three core disciplines relating to child protection – child development, social work and law.
- To provide candidates with the relevant contextual and systemic knowledge and frameworks for child protection.
- To equip candidates with the experiential and technical knowledge to think about and make sense of child development and those factors that undermine normal development.
- To provide clear tools, principles and methodologies for contributing to the processes of social protection and prevention.
- To provide a clear focus on the child in contact with the law to work effectively with different services and achieve better and positive outcomes.
- To develop a reflective practitioner of child protection who is able to work effectively at the social and legal levels of child protection and support the development of a system with a right based approach.
I. Degree from a recognized University/ Institution in a field relevant to the subject matter/s of the Postgraduate Diploma; Or
II. Any other Degree with one year’s post-degree work experience relevant to the subject matter/s of the Postgraduate Diploma; Or
III. Professional qualification from a recognized professional body acceptable to the University of Colombo with one year’s post-qualification work experience relevant to the subject matter/s of the Postgraduate Diploma; Or
IV. Any other Diploma of one year duration from a recognized University / Institution or an equivalent qualification recognized by the University of Colombo and a minimum of three years’ work experience in a relevant field gained after obtaining the Diploma or the equivalent qualification ; Or
V. Minimum of eight years of sustained work experience in recognized institutions or work places with strong recommendation on the capacity of the candidate to undertake the programme from the Head of the institution where the candidate works which is considered on a case by case basis by the CSHR and subject to the approval of the Faculty Board of the Faculty of Law.
Criteria B. Satisfactory performance at an examination and/or an interview to be conducted by the CSHR.
Medium of instruction: Sinhala and Tamil / English
Course Fee: Rs. 80, 000/-
Applications can be obtained from CSHR or can be downloaded from this page.
Completed applications along with the certificates should be submitted by post or hand delivered to the following address.
The Director, Centre for the Study of Human Rights,
Faculty of Law, University of Colombo,
94 Cumarathunga Munidasa Mawatha, Colombo 03
Tel : 011 2500879/2503017, Fax : 011 2598462
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com